ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
WITNESS believes in the power of effective civic media to protect human rights and drive social change. As advocates and visual storytellers, we know the power of media and technology to amplify marginalized voices, hold abusers accountable, and catalyze movements. We are a global hub of innovative problem-solvers committed to maximizing the potential of the 21st century’s most powerful tools for defending human rights.
For the past 26 years, we have supported activists in more than 100 countries and built trusted networks with grassroots communities, lawyers, and technology platforms – ceaselessly innovating to accelerate human rights and maximize civic participation. We are at a pivotal moment where we have the opportunity to exponentially expand our influence and reach, and are building a dynamic communications team to help lead the way.
ABOUT THE ROLE
WITNESS seeks an Executive Assistant to support and work with our Executive Director, our Program Director, and liaise with our Board of Directors and Advisory Board as well as with external supporters and allies to the organization. You will be part of a dynamic, global team of activists who work across the world and in different time zones.
This position reports to the Executive Director. As Executive Assistant, you will provide comprehensive support for the Executive function at WITNESS by bolstering an effective and highly efficient function, through preparing, organizing, and driving meetings and organizational priorities. Your support ensures the seamless, fast-paced execution of the Executive Director’s priorities and daily schedule with a high degree of professionalism, attention to detail, follow through, speed, and attentiveness to issues requiring the Executive Director’s attention. You will also provide select administrative support the Program Director. You will maintain key Executive relationships and liaise directly with WITNESS’ Board members and WITNESS’ external partners.
This role is perfect for a self-starter who is highly organized, likes to project manage and is good at it, pays focused attention to detail, and is an excellent writer and communicator, shows sound initiative and anticipation qualities, excels in fast-paced team-based environments, and has the ability to interact with staff and partners at all levels.
Executive Director and Executive Function Support
- Ensure preparedness for meetings and other commitments, research and prepare briefings, and assist in supporting next steps, anticipating and tracking tasks against achievable timelines
- Closely manage internal and external correspondence, including email, mailings, and outward-facing materials
- Support the development and fundraising efforts, including conducting research, managing relationships, scheduling meetings, and tracking invoices, payments, paperwork, etc.
- Support the management of direct reports, and work with external partners, as well as other issues requiring the Executive Director or Program Director’s attention
- Manage the calendar and schedule internal and external meetings
- Manage travel, including booking flights and hotels, securing visas, etc.
- Manage the monthly credit card reconciliations, reimbursement requests, timesheet allocations, and related admin functions for the Executive Director and Program Director
- Support the Program Director administratively with logistics, research, and follow-up for projects and convenings
- Support organization-wide meetings and convenings
- Update and maintain Salesforce, Contacts and other applicable data or organizational records related to Executive function, the Executive Director and the Program Director
- Conduct research and create briefings
Board of Directors and Advisory Board Support
- Help secure the smooth and effective functioning of the Boards’ function, through maintaining schedules, preparing meetings and tracking follow-ups
- Schedule and handle logistics around Boards and related meetings
- Handle and lead the creation and maintenance of all hard and soft copies of Board documents
- Assist the Executive Director in managing Board recruitment, outreach, maintenance of relevant policies, and compliance with the Organization’s bylaws
- Executive Director, Program Director
- Board of Directors, Advisory Board
- Donors and Allies
- External Relations Team
- Work Experience: A minimum of 2-3 years related experience.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Systems: Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and the Google Work Suite
- Work Habits: Exceptional administrative, organizational, and logistical skills; ability to anticipate needs and manage multiple priorities and keep track of details; a high level of attention to detail
- Communication: Exceptional interpersonal communication and writing skills. Ability to communicate effectively with senior and executive staff as well as with external stakeholders
- Organizational Culture: A strong interest, background, and/or work experience in nonprofits, human rights, social justice, technology, or video advocacy; demonstrated commitment to WITNESS’ values and mission
You Should Have:
- Excitement to work in a fast-paced global environment
- Exceptional attention to detail and time management skills
- Strong ability to plan, organize, execute, and bring tasks to completion
- Proven ability to juggle and prioritize varied and sometimes competing responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a group to produce successful results
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal as well as interpersonal
- A high degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- Experience with and proficiency in G Suite, including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, and Docs
- 2-3 years of experience as administrative assistant, office manager, or related role preferred
How to Apply:
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to jobs[@]witness.org with the subject line “Executive Assistant” [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.