Global Digital Engagement Manager
ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
Video has changed the game for activists around the world. With a cellphone camera, anyone can become a human rights defender and expose injustice, making it harder for perpetrators to hide or for systems of oppression to remain invisible. But using video for justice can be dangerous – videos can put activists (or those they film) at risk, can be used against communities in court or deceitfully discredited by tired old power narratives.
WITNESS has spent the last 28 years working with partners around the world to develop the field we call video-for-change. We’ve committed to strengthening this global movement by sharing what we know (and continue to learn) throughout our collaborations – today, our online Library is home to over 180 training resources in more than 20 languages. Activists from around the world have used our tip sheets, tutorials and guides to harness the power of video and learn how to document and expose abuse, preserve visual evidence, and create video advocacy strategies that help protect and defend human rights.
Our small team of 30 people is palpably fierce, but it can’t be everywhere our resources are needed. And as more people around the world turn to their cellphones to film abuse and demand change, WITNESS faces a monumental challenge: how to support these movements, networks and activists –even from afar– to use video technology as safely and effectively as possible. This is where the Global Digital Engagement Team comes in.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Global Digital Engagement Team is made up of regionally based consultants in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and North America. These online strategists work closely with WITNESS’ regional program leads and are passionate about using their social media and organizing superpowers to help WITNESS’ guidance reach activists in critical moments in which this knowledge could make a difference, like mass protests, direct actions, or conflicts. Regional engagement specialists meet regularly to learn from each other and collaborate on cross-regional resource sharing campaigns to engage activists, media makers, cultural influencers and movements. Though fairly new, this inspiring team is a vital part of WITNESS’ long-term vision of using video and technology to strengthen the fabric of resistance locally and globally in the years to come.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Manager for Global Digital Engagement will oversee this team of regionally-based social media consultants in close collaboration with regional program leads, advising on ways to continue expanding WITNESS’ reach and impact in these regions through resource localization, creative engagement tactics, innovative experimentation on regional distribution, mobile-first responsive digital design for training materials, and in-depth data monitoring and analysis to inform the organization’s ongoing learning and growth. The manager will serve as the glue of this global team, working to strengthen regional strategies while also weaving collaboration across regions and identifying relevant synergies/opportunities/gaps globally. They will report to and work closely with WITNESS’ Lead – Learning & Sharing on developing and implementing the global layer of this broader engagement strategy.
Supporting Regional Teams to Learn and Grow via Adapting and Sharing WITNESS resources – 35%
- Advise regional social media consultants (and program leads) on their online engagement strategies, including on ways of adapting/distributing resources for specific platforms/geographies/formats/contexts.
- In support of these strategies, develop (and inspire/train others to develop) social media-first graphics, responsive multimedia, short-form videos, and other digital assets as relevant.
- Encourage a culture of ongoing experimentation and learning across the team through periodic meetings and by leading/facilitating skill-sharing sessions to enhance collaboration/exchange.
- Manage platform credentials across regions and languages (access, permissions, compliance with organizational security protocols, etc).
Fostering Global Cohesion, Growth and Learning – 35%
- Coordinate and implement bimonthly global distribution campaigns to share evergreen and core training materials across regions according to programmatic priorities and existing resources.
- Develop, test, and share digital strategy learnings for growing access to resources, including improved SEO and monitoring of platform algorithms and trends that affect how activists share information online.
- Co-lead and curate the “global layer” of this broader programmatic online engagement strategy, working to connect the dots of this regional work with WITNESS’ priority themes/resources globally.
- Monitor and oversee regional reporting/analysis of “meaningful” metrics around programmatic engagement online, explaining and clarifying questions from the broader team as needed.
- Help build key systems needed for stronger learning/sharing in the long term, like shared global contact databases, ecosystem maps and editorial calendars.
Admin & supervision – 30%
- Maintain existing systems that support online library of resources, including tracking spreadsheets, website back-end infrastructure and version control.
- Maintain and update Engagement Drive and Intranet.
- Supervise Program Assistant, including on key responsibility of tracking/collecting metrics and other data.
Experience: 5-7 years of related experience, including track record of savviness, creativity and effectiveness using social media to connect people and campaigns across contexts, languages and borders.
Human Rights: Background in (or passion for) human rights; understands networks, grassroots organizing and how activists mobilize online. Appreciates nuance, has experience with political sensitivities and security precautions needed to do this work ethically online. Committed to social justice and WITNESS’ values/mission.
Languages: Speaks Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, WordPress, YouTube and Gifs natively. Understands how language needs to change in a tweet versus Insta-story versus meme. English is also needed, to communicate with the rest of the team. Additional languages a plus.
Other Important Skills:
- Strong digital communication skills, including creating visual messages and writing/editing for the web.
- Advanced proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite including graphics creation and image editing skills, including Indesign, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Web publishing skills; knows basic HTML and CSS; strong understanding of UX and front-end design.
- Strong data analysis skills; able to monitor and test hypotheses on patterns and correlations on different social media platforms.
- Advanced proficiency w/Google worksuite as Gdocs, sheets, forms are heavily used across WITNESS.
- Experience leading trainings and/or facilitating groups across diverse cultures/geographies a plus, especially work outside the “Global North”.
Characteristics: Team-minded. A doer. Is organized and follows through. Espouses good humor under pressure; inspires others. Believes in the importance of long-term movement-building, knows human rights work takes time. Also, is flexible – early morning or later evening calls will be needed as this job requires working with people in different time zones (this is offset in your weekly workload as work-life balance is a core value for WITNESS).
Education: You can tell us about your degrees, but we’re more interested in what your passions are and what you can do. If your degrees are part of that story, great! (But no formal education required).
The position description is a guide to the critical duties and essential functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands and work environment conditions.
START DATE: Immediate
LOCATION: Preference for someone who could work from our NY office, but willing to consider remote working arrangements (from anywhere in the world) for the right candidate.
TITLE: Manager – Global Digital Engagement
SALARY: Commensurate with experience, with an excellent benefits package including generous vacation package
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to jobs[@]witness.org with the subject line “Manager – Global Digital Engagement” [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant.
We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply.
Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.