Multimedia Design Coordinator
We are a global human rights organization, a collective of passionate human rights activists with (mostly remote) team members all over the world. WITNESS’ mission is to help people use video and technology to protect and defend human rights. We are a 35-person multi-disciplinary team with staff based across 5 continents. While we’re legally a non-profit that is registered as a 501(c)3 in the U.S, we are a global collective: our staff members (as well as consultants, interns, fellows and a vast community of partners and collaborators) are based around the world and reflect a group of activists with diverse skills and backgrounds.
WHAT WE DO
WITNESS pairs grassroots community support with advocacy at a systems level. Our team works holistically on a global scale to understand how communities are using and want to use video and technology for human rights. With a cellphone camera, anyone can become a human rights defender and expose injustice, making it harder for perpetrators to hide or for systems of oppression to remain invisible. But using video for community organizing, justice and accountability can be dangerous – videos can put defenders (or those they film) at risk, can be used against communities in court or deceitfully discredited by tired old power narratives. Filming is almost never enough – for videos to make a difference they need to work alongside strong advocacy or legal strategies; they also need to be created, preserved and shared in ways that avoid creating more harm or trauma.
New threats to human rights are emerging at the intersection of artificial intelligence, misinformation and disinformation and a global wave of rising authoritarianism.
When it comes to systemic challenges we are on the watch for both existing problems – like how large amounts of critical human rights footage are lost because of the arbitrary decisions of platforms – but also emerging threats and opportunities, such as those posed by ‘deepfakes’, new ways to manipulate media to make it look like someone said or did something they never did.
The Global Digital Engagement Team is composed of global team members who work across regions and regional programmatic communications coordinators based in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and North America. The team is tasked with planning, adapting and distributing WITNESS resources and programmatic content across platforms, reaching 1+million people each year online so that safer and more effective use of video and technology can lead to stronger human rights change. The Global Digital Engagement Team also creates campaigns to connect and amplify WITNESS’ ecosystems of partners and allies around the world in order to strengthen resistance, solidarity and learning globally. The team meets regularly to learn from each other and support the strategic sharing of WITNESS’ vision and work online.
The Design Coordinator will spend the bulk of their time coordinating projects and supporting the Global Digital Engagement Team through the creation of multimedia assets to support our regional/global resource, advocacy & solidarity campaigns and ensure a compelling, engaging and cohesive organization-wide visual identity. They will also support design needs for wider institutional initiatives driven by the External Relations team to generate awareness about WITNESS’ work and strengthen fundraising campaigns. They will report to and work closely with WITNESS’ Global Digital Engagement Manager.
Multimedia Design Production – 100%
- Provide in-house graphic design to support org-wide needs, including: creating visuals, gifs, data visualizations and shareable graphics to engage WITNESS audiences on social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc., as directed by the Global Digital Engagement Manager. This includes coordinating projects for both the Global team as well as WITNESS’ regional teams based in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and North America;
- Provide design work for websites, blog, microsites, the WITNESS’ Online Resource Library, as well as for documents, reports, and presentations as directed by the Global Digital Engagement Manager;
- Edit/create short-form videos as directed by the Global Digital Engagement Manager. This includes for use as derivatives on social media and for wider campaigns as needed (with consultation/support from WITNESS’ Senior Video Producer when necessary);
- Help enhance the implementation of Global Digital Engagement advocacy and resource campaigns across digital platforms (websites + socials) by contributing to resource engagement planning, design strategy and implementation as directed by the Global Digital Engagement Manager;
- Ensure the consistency of WITNESS’ values and framework in all design materials in collaboration with the broader team and in coordination with the Global Digital Engagement Manager. This includes: managing proper use/reuse of WITNESS’ logo/visual identity on assets, maintaining relationships with design contractors, setting and applying visual identity guidelines with the program team and external design consultants, as well as seeking appropriate permission for use of design assets/artwork that are not WITNESS’ intellectual property.
- Manage, catalog and archive social media and library design assets in organizational spaces in collaboration with WITNESS’ internal knowledge management & archiving teams in coordination with the Global Digital Engagement Manager;
- Provide recommendations for improving design strategy in collaboration with the Global Digital Engagement Manager;
- Meet requests for visual assets and staff presenter profiles/photos as needed.
- Maintain and create custom templates for WITNESS institutional presentations as well as on WITNESS’ websites, Mailchimp accounts and when necessary;
- Update staff and board profiles and photos on the website as and when necessary.
- Maintain and update WITNESS Global Roster of Designers and work intentionally to uphold W values in our design choices by cataloging community+movement designers that more fully represent the communities, movements and ecosystems WITNESS participates in.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
Work Experience: 5-7 years of related design experience, including a proven track record of creativity and use of digital design and new media for activism internationally, and in online spaces. Cross-cultural lived, activist and/or professional experiences are a huge plus.Human Rights Background in (or passion for) human rights; understands networks, grassroots organizing and how activists mobilize online. Committed to social justice and WITNESS’ values/mission and to a global, human rights lead approach.
Education: You can tell us about your degrees, but we’re more interested in what your passions are and what you can do. If your degrees are part of that story, great! (But no formal education required).
- Strong digital design eye, including creating powerful, political visual messages and editing for digital platforms that spark change;
- Advanced proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite including graphics creation and image editing skills, including Indesign, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator;
- Web publishing skills, knowledge of basic HTML and CSS, strong understanding of UX and front-end design;
- Digital archiving skills, digital security and privacy know-how, knowledge and use of Creative Commons licensing;
- Photography and/or filming skills;
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to effectively work as a part of a team, open to giving and receiving constructive feedback;
- Exceptional organizational skills, including an ability to manage multiple priorities and keep track of details;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills;
- Experience with non-profit design strategy;
- Advanced proficiency w/Google worksuite as Gdocs, sheets, forms are heavily used across WITNESS.
Languages: Speaks Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, WordPress, YouTube and GIF natively. Fluent English required to work with a global team who uses this as a shared language. Native speaker of English not required.
Additional languages are a plus, especially Arabic, French, Spanish or Portuguese.
Characteristics: Team-player. Accountable. Teachable. High attention to detail. Understands project-based workflows and communicates effectively when juggling multiple priorities.
Location: The location is flexible provided some overlap of working hours with the rest of the team can be ensured. WITNESS is registered as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in the state of New York, USA, and currently retains an office in New York City. However, since 2020, its staff is currently working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Compensation: The salary for this position is based out of New York City. The salary will be localized considering relative cost of living in the applicable country using the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) Post Adjustment Multiplier- a metric system that is revised monthly and that WITNESS uses to determine salaries globally.
WITNESS offers a range of benefits, depending on the location of the individual, and 15 days of paid annual leave in addition to public holidays and end of year leave.
WITNESS also offers additional monthly “reading days” where employees may request one day in the month to do reading/further study related to WITNESS work.
WITNESS also offers competitive and robust medical benefits that cover an individual at 100% and covers a % of the individual’s dependents.
After 1 year of service at the organization, WITNESS will contribute 3% of an individual’s gross salary towards a global retirement fund.
WITNESS recognizes that flexible working arrangements are key to equity and inclusion in the workplace and we provide a monthly remote work allowance, we are happy to talk about the type of flexible arrangements that might work best for you.
The position description is a guide to the critical duties and essential functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands and work environment conditions.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “Job” [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls.
WITNESS aims to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the communities we work with, and actively seeks applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under international federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply.
You must have authorization to work in the country you are based.