ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
WITNESS believes in the power of effective civic media to protect human rights and drive social change. As advocates and visual storytellers, we know the power of media and technology to amplify marginalized voices, hold abusers accountable, and catalyze movements. We are a global hub of innovative problem-solvers committed to maximizing the potential of the 21st century’s most powerful tools for defending human rights.
For nearly 30 years, we have supported activists in more than 100 countries and built trusted networks with grassroots communities, lawyers, and technology platforms – ceaselessly innovating to accelerate human rights and maximize civic participation. We are at a pivotal moment where we have the opportunity to exponentially expand our influence and reach, and are building a dynamic team to help lead the way
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Philanthropy Coordinator (PC) plays a key role in coordinating all aspects of Individual Philanthropy, from prospect research to donor communications and cultivation through the implementation of annual fund campaigns and various engagement vehicles. The PC is also responsible for departmental administrative support, including maintaining progress across individual fundraising and resource mobilization, overseeing systems management, fundraising engagement data & analytics, and overseeing databases and engagement systems as they relate to revenue and moves management.
- Strategic Implementation: Support the implementation of Individual Philanthropy strategies including moves & CRM management, events, travel and special projects, philanthropy operations, overall research, and engagement outreach;
- Donor & Partner Engagement: Create relevant donor and partner materials; identify creative ways to communicate with donors to ensure a close connection to WITNESS’ mission and programs; maintain a database of content assets for donor engagement; draft compelling emails, notes and updates to supporters and partners;
- Research: Conduct prospect research using online searches and other tools, and recommend fits based on analysis of overlaps and key interest;
- Portfolio Support and Moves Management: Lead on cohesive portfolio and supporter administration, tracking engagement and moves; create reports, acknowledgement letters and cultivation pieces; maintain a calendar of events, conferences, and travel, and ensure consistent and engaging touch points throughout the year;
- Gift Administration & Processing: Manage the administration of all individual gifts: process, track and acknowledge gifts using donor database; ensure accurate and timely recording of all pledges, gifts, contact information and reports; and liaise with Finance;
- Annual Fund: Coordinate annual fund and peer-to-peer fundraising campaign outreach and administration; engage and expand existing network of monthly donors.
Strategic Partnerships & Events
- Event & Cultivation Support: Support the administration of fundraising and cultivation events across the Fundraising Team (including webinars, dinners, briefings, and panels) to raise WITNESS’ visibility and inspire, inform and grow various constituencies;
- Program Collaboration: Identify opportunities to collaborate with the Program Team on donor engagement vehicles around substantive areas of interest to the individual donor base.
- Create, analyze, and maintain cross-departmental supporter lists;
- Keep up to date with philanthropy, technology, and human rights trends and spaces relevant for WITNESS;
- Support Finance with management payment portals as related to revenue and in-kind contributions;
- Provide research, administrative and other support to the larger Fundraising team, as needed.
- Individual Philanthropy
- Events & Strategic Partnerships
- Institutional Giving
- Individual and Corporate Donors to WITNESS
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, experience and characteristics:
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree and 2+ years of experience;
- Project Management: You are a highly organized and effective project manager that loves spreadsheets, lists, and coordinating to get things just right;
- Communications: You are an excellent creative writer with strong copy-editing skills; you are comfortable communicating with external audiences and have strong interpersonal communication skills; ideally, some experience with MailChimp or a similar email platform;
- Research: You are a skilled researcher with familiarity with online philanthropic and search platforms, and have strong analytical skills to identify and recommend potential funders for WITNESS’ work;
- Work Habits: You are a self-starter who is highly organized with superb attention to detail; you thrive in a face-paced, high-performance culture and have the ability to multitask and troubleshoot when projects shift unexpectedly; you are reliable, energetic and motivated; you have good judgment and consistently meet deadlines; you enjoy improving systems, tracking the details and optimizing workflows; you are a positive team player with the ability to execute on strategy, prioritize and collaborate;
- Skills: You are an expert in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); you are familiar with making systems effective and efficient and have experience working with Salesforce or another CRM; you have excellent project management and organizational skills with an eagle eye to detail;
- Human Rights/Media/Technology: You are genuinely enthusiastic about WITNESS’ mission and have a basic understanding of human rights and/or socially-driven media and technology.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “Philanthropy Coordinator [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.